In this Article
If you are suffering fears success will usually be living with an internal conflict. Part of you wants to be successful , but there is another part of you that will hold you back because of the fear of success. Fear of success will prevent you from succeeding.
What is the fear of success called? fear of success is also called Achievemephobia. People suffering from Achievemephobia or fear of success are not able to handle success: they might sabotage themselves with self destructive behavior: drinking, drugs, sex etc and end up losing all that they have achieved
The following is a list of some possible causes for fear of success:
- Fear that friends and family will envy you: you might have the irrational idea that people will envy you if you are successful, therefore you will lose them.
- Fear of loneliness: You might think that your friends will abandon you.
- Fear of not fitting in: some people fear success not to be different. If you are a women you might have been raised with the belief that women should not be successful or is better to stay unnoticed.
- Fear of change: If you have the fear of change because you do not know what would happen if you are successful an how this will not only change your life but the fear of the other’s reaction.
- Fear of maintain your success . What would you have to do next to maintain your success?
7 Signs You Have a Fear of Success
Here are some signs to look out for:
- Lack of motivation
- Refusal/dislike of setting goals
- Conveniently “forgetting deadlines”
- Turning down good opportunities with no reason
- Sabotaging yourself by creating drama, calling in sick, etc
- The first step is to change your beliefs. You have fear of success because you have a belief, what is it? Take a piece of paper and write: I fear success because… and fill in the sentence without thinking.
- If you failed to find the belief you can try using hypnosis. Try now Fear of Success
- Think about past successes. Take a piece of paper write down all your past successes. Read them often and feel proud.
- Make small changes. Try to eat something different for dinner, take a different road to go to work, etc. Remember that the root of fear of success is change. So try to make changes every day.
- Pay attention to ways you sabotage yourself. You can start a journal and if you start noticing something write it down. Eventually you will discover a pattern that you can easily overcome.
- Use EFT tapping to overcome fear of success.
You can use in an alternative therapy such as Emotional Freedom Techniques to help you overcome your fear of success. I will give you an example on how you could start tapping.
Start with the karate chop point and tap repeating:
Karate chop point: Even though if I am successful (specific situation) will happen, I deeply and completely accept that I have these feelings.
Even though I feel afraid that I can’t handle too much success, I release this fear now and I deeply and completely accept my feelings and love and accept myself as I am.
Even though I’ve got this fear of too much success and that “they” will expect more of me than I can give, I release this fear now. I deeply and completely accept myself even if I have this conflict
Then tap the following sequence
Eyebrow: I’m afraid of success
Side of Eye:This fear of success when (past situation) totally stressed me out
Under Eye: I don’t want to be a target for anyone
Nose: They won’t like my success
Chin: They’ll criticize my success
Collarbone: All this conflict
Under Arm: I’ve always been afraid of success
Head: It’s safer to stay where I am
Take a deep breath, and continue tapping :
Eyebrow: Releasing this fear of success keeping me blocked
Side of Eye: I give myself permission to be successful
Under Eye: I know I can handle success and I choose to do so now
Under Nose: Releasing all this fear of success
Chin: I choose to be successful now
Collarbone: I know I deserve success
Underarm: I NOW release this fear and choose the joy of success!
Head: I give myself permission to be successful now
Take a deep breath.
Just be aware that if you want to reach your goals you have to eliminate the fear of success.
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” ― Marianne Williamson
Fears self-hypnosis download.
Read Fears books